Sunday, July 28, 2013

Reflections

Looking back on the past year of my life, I am humbled.

A year ago, I was frail and tragically broken. I was scared to death of being unlike those around me. I was terrified of being myself and had a heightened awareness of what others thought of me. Did I have reasons to feel this way? Yes. I was justified in my distress. I was broken and my heart was still in shambles because of events that had left their mark. However, I was bound. Bound by my depression and my sadness. Bound by the lies of my enemy. Bound by the chains wrapped around my heart and my heartstrings.

Now, I am free. I am whole. I am fully me. 

A year of challenges, peer pressure, relationship dramatics, and angst. A year of heartbreak and making mistakes. A year of lessons in what it means to truly love and trust. A year of laughter and deciding to remove the mask which previously blocked my tears. A year of evolving, and exploring. A year of travel-embracing the wanderlust which pushes me daily towards adventure. A year of everlasting friendship.

Today, I will laugh. Today, I will sing-not to show off or gain attention, but to feel the fullness which comes with releasing every note. Today, I will smile a toothy grin. Today, I will open up a piece of my heart with bitter reluctance and bold courage. Today, I will marvel at the beauty at my Creator's hand. Today, I will rejoice in the joy oozing out of my every pore. I will enjoy this rush of happiness and rest in the assurance contentedness brings. Today, I will enjoy being the most complete version of myself. I will embrace my quirks and my failures. Today, I choose to be me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment